Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  3d Retreat News
  NOLF: Required Registration?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   NOLF: Required Registration?
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-09-2000 11:58 PM


I found it interesting this evening that when I finished installing No One Lives Forever it has a registration page that automatically loads when the install is finished. The page says "Under Construction" and has a "Finish" button. When you click on it, the next page says "Thank you, your CD is unlocked". Sounds like they were planning on doing some type of registration that didn't unlock your CD unless you registered! I haven't heard of anyone doing this before and thought it was pretty interesting. Click here to see the URL it loads.
Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-10-2000 12:12 AM


To add to the discussion, I wanted to point on something that EA has done with Madden 2001. With Madden, EA is not putting any of the patches online to download. To upgrade your software, you HAVE to run the update feature that is built into the game. The reason behind this is to make harder for people to warez the game. Unfortunately, there are some issues with people behind a firewall not getting the auto-update to work for them. I was one of those people and as a legal owner of Madden 2001, I called up EA to inquire on a way around this. There was no fix or work around and they couldn't do anything for me. To finally fix my problem, I had to copy the contents of a friends computer who had upgraded the game already and copied his files over to mine. That just sucks and wasn't worth whatever warez it prevents IMHO.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Absolut_OSU
3d Retreat

Posts: 21
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-10-2000 12:53 AM


I agree snicker. It's not right for companies to dissatisfy and ingnore customers that way. Eventually, someone will find a way around that update system and the updates will be available to warezers.

------------------

Home of the 8 - 1 Beavers


Click Here to See the Profile for Absolut_OSU   Click Here to Email Absolut_OSU    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to AbsoluteOSU    IP Logged
jsonedecker
Private

Posts: 8
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-10-2000 07:18 AM


I don't EVER want to be forced to register my software just to start playing it out of the box. But, the idea of getting updates/patches only if registered is interesting. Assuming that there are no technical reasons that you couldn't get it, like Skiker's.

Hey Absolut_OSU, what's the OSU stand for?


-John

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for jsonedecker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
chrispix
Sergeant

Posts: 78
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-10-2000 08:41 AM


Ok, well this goes back to the old days.. When they had floppy disks that had some hidden sectors on them and you could not play a game with out the floppy in the drive.. What would piss me off is I have a game with 4 floppies, then I have to find disk one, just to unlock it.. Anyway.. This whole thing about having to register is BS.. Actually I think it almost goes to the fact about warrenty.. Like if I buy a washing machine, and dont register it.. That does not disqualify me from the warrenty, I just have to show proof of when I bought it. Anyway...


Oh
I am assuming OState = Oklahoma (loosers) State..

GIG 'EM - -- - - WHOOOP!!!!!
Fighting Aggie class of '99 WHOOOP!!!
hee hee.

------------------
/Chrispix


Click Here to See the Profile for chrispix   Click Here to Email chrispix    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24178629UIN: 24178629   Send an AIM Message to ctravis77   Send a message to chrispix99UIN: 24178629 IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-10-2000 02:38 PM


I think Absolut's OSU stands for Oregon State Univ.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-10-2000 03:13 PM


Dan Miller, PR dude from Monolith, has the following to say about the pages I enountered:

Hey Aaron, I saw this post. I actually had to call Fox to see what the story was. The page it referenced was just a temp page and we never planned to require registration of the game. It was a text error and it has been or will be pulled soon. I apologize for the confusion.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
GoatBeard
Moderator

Posts: 61
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-11-2000 08:58 AM


Even if they had required registration for updates it won't stop people. All I need to do is find one person willing to register and then use an install software like WISE to make a snapshot of the system before and after the update. WISE will then package the changes (files added, registry entries). About the only thing it won't do is capture changes within an existing file. In that case it will just copy the entire file into the package. I can then walk the package and ensure that it didn't grab anything I don't need (e.g. the user's registration number). There ya go, I have a single EXE that can be posted online and contains all of the patch updates in about 15 minutes. Not that I would do it. That would be illegal.
Click Here to See the Profile for GoatBeard   Click Here to Email GoatBeard    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
jsonedecker
Private

Posts: 8
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-13-2000 07:37 AM


And here I thought it stood for Ohio State University. Go Bucks!

-John

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for jsonedecker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47