Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Rogue Spear Retreat News
  Vertigo Anti-Cheat Stuff

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Vertigo Anti-Cheat Stuff
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 578
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-04-2000 05:44 PM


The new Anti-Cheat is out from Vertigo and I haven't had the liberty of looking at the source code but I can tell you that IT IS NOT SAFE. The program utilizes Winsock for network communications and there is no need for a program like this to be doing that. That puts up a huge red flag. Until further info, DON'T RUN THE ANTI-CHEAT. The author claims he can't say why the winsock dll is being used for "security reasons". I am not saying that the program is in fact a trojan but its specifics make me awfully suspicious.

Also, a webpage has been started that attempts to inform you more about when players are using cheats and has info on how to make Vertigo's ISP aware of his activities which are in violation of his hosts Terms of Service. You can visit this site at http://stopcheating.cjb.net/ That site doesn't have his webserver correct though. You can learn more about the domain 3dvertigo (and vertigo himself) by going to http://www.opensrs.org/whois/index.shtml and doing a 'whois' on the domain 3dvertigo.com. Vertigo's host can be reached by calling 718-321-3936.

Vertigo had the following to say on his site concerning the use of the wsock.dll

For all of you paranoid freaks, wsock32.dll is a file RS loads which initiates the cheat patch. It then loads a virtual device driver used in cheat detection. Why did I choose wsock32.dll? Its the smallest DLL, thus easiest dll, that R6 loads that isn't copyrighted by RSE

My guess is that the anti-cheat doesn't have an trojan similiar to how his last anti-cheat doesn't have a trojan but you can never be too sure. In my opinion, it is impossible to trust someone who creates cheats for games for the sole intention of being able to bribe people for his anti-cheat. As stated on his website, he is trying to get people to pay him and is accepting free gifts for the anti-cheats he creates. I think that has to be one of the single lowest points since the existence of the R6/RS community.


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Cavpilot
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 12-08-2000 05:19 PM


I have been running Black Ice for 2 years. After installing the 1.06 patch, I have received the first "Socks probe" attack ever on my IP. Call me paranoid, but yes, I agree with you that this is not a patch to install if your are concerned about security.
I don't claim to be an expert on hacking. And it may be a coincidence. But I will stop using the patch until I am sure it is safe.
The following URL might explain what exactly a Socks probe is. http://advice.networkice.com/advice/Intrusions/2003017/default.htm

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Cavpilot   Click Here to Email Cavpilot    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
COTF_Archangel
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 12-25-2000 01:06 PM


I FU**ING HATE VERTIGO!!! THAT FU**ING
ANTI-CHEAT PATCH OF HIS (do me a favor *don't download it*) IT HIT MY COMP WITH A FU**ING VIRUS, A BUNCH OF HORSESH*T IF U ASK ME. I HAD TO SEND MY COMP BACK TO THE COMPANY THAT BUILT IT 4 ME, THEY SAID THE WARRANTY DIDN"T COVER VIRUSES SO THERE WENT
$3,000.00+. IM NOT TELLING U NOT TO DOWNLOAD IT, IM JUST GIVING FRIENDLY ADVISE FROM ONE GAMMER TO ANOTHER. BUT WHAT I AM TELLING YOU IS THAT VERTIGO IS A FU**ING BAS**RD AND IF I EVER FIND OUT WHERE HE LIVES I'M GUNNA GO TO HIS HOUSE AND BEAT THAT $3,000.00+ OUT OF HIS FU**ING A$$. Sorry for sounding a little hostile but i think if you lost over $3,000 you would be a little hostile also.
COTF_Archangel OUT__________________

Click Here to See the Profile for COTF_Archangel   Click Here to Email COTF_Archangel    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47